Evidence Collection and Commentary for Professional Portfolios
Many districts now require teacher-created evidence binders or portfolios.
Developing a portfolio provides an opportunity for analytical assessment of
student learning. It can inform evidence-based decision making around
instruction and content. Additionally, portfolios can build teacher
capacity and teacher leadership through rigorous sustained analysis of
content and practice.
Part 1 of this workshop is a collaborative inquiry into the process of
creating an evidence binder/portfolio.
In this two hour workshop, participants will:
- Engage in collaborative conversations around building a professional
portfolio for APPR or personal purposes;
- Examine the NYS Teaching Standards and Danielson’s Framework for
Teaching as a guideline for the selection of evidence;
- Analyze the National Board guidelines for writing artifact commentary;
- Gather and select student work and other types of artifacts;
- Generate ideas about the arrangement or categorization of materials;
- Construct a plan for the creation or continued development of the
Please bring any district guidelines around evidence collection of which
you are aware, as well as a variety of student work samples to this
No pre-requisite courses required. A follow-up to this workshop will be
held in April.